Monday, January 21, 2008

Jack's Beans

I hardly realized it
One day the rays of the sun did not enter my bedroom window,
As it did every morning
I was shocked by a gigantic tree that had
Grown so big, my house sat underneath its shade
Branches likea million cold hands reaching out to touch the sun

Was it in that long period of night that you grew
When was it that you got so deep
So massive the roots replaced the cement foundations
The tree’s roots and trunk the manolinth my house is now built upon
How could I have not noticed the growth
Of that tiny seed we tossed out my window

The shade is cooling, the leaves an umbrella to protect me
from nature’s harsh change of mood
Yet it scares me to not see the sun sometimes
I had made a habit of staring at it and getting a tan all these years
A pruning, that’s what it needs , I recall saying to myself

What witchery is this?
Like Jack’s magic beans, overnight it seemed to have appeared
Last night it wasn't there, I said. Looking up, standing barefoot
Still in my pajamas. I was not prepared to wake up like this.

How could this have happened beneath my nose
How could this have gone unnoticed?
Or has it been so looooong a night?
Or is the sunriseI recall from ages long gone
Could it be that this is a new sun?

1 comment:

  1. Before that giant comes down, fell that tree down, beloved.:)

    ReplyDelete